Dr Megan Emma Smith
Dr Megan Emma Smith
LLB, MBBS, FRCA, Barrister
Dr Megan Smith is a Consultant Anaesthetist at the Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust, one of the UK's leading major teaching hospitals.
Dr Smith qualified as a doctor in 2003 and began her career in anaesthesia in 2006. She has been a consultant anaesthetist since 2015. She specialises in adult and non-tertiary paediatric anaesthesia with a particular focus on orthopaedics, vascular and plastic surgery. Her area of specialist interest is ultrasound guided regional anaesthesia which forms a major part of her practice.
Prior to studying medicine, Dr Smith was a practising barrister. She gained a Bachelor of Laws degree (LL.B) in 1993 for which she was awarded First Class Honours.
She attended the Inns of Court School of Law in London between 1993 and 1994 where she completed her Bar examinations. She was called to the Bar of England and Wales in October 1994.
Dr Smith has been awarded a number of scholarships and prizes by The Honourable Society of Lincoln's Inn for both her pre-pupillage and pupillage years. These include the Thomas More, Hardwicke and Shelford Scholarships. She also received numerous subject prizes during her LL.B (including for Medical Law and Ethics) as well as prizes for overall excellence in Part I and Part III examinations.
Dr Smith practised as a barrister specialising in property, contract, commercial, landlord and tenant and insolvency law. In addition, she acted for plaintiffs and defendants in professional negligence cases. She appeared regularly in the County Court and High Court. She is entirely comfortable taking responsibility for the conduct of cases with serious outcomes for clients/patients and is highly skilled in relation to the following:
- Rapid, forensic analysis and assimilation of complex subject matter
- Public speaking and thinking quickly on her feet, particularly in court
- Assessment of likely examination and cross examination subject matter
- Clear, accurate written presentation including the drafting of witness statements, affidavits, legal opinions and pleadings, as well as investigation reports
- Time management: prioritisation of tasks, working under pressure of time and working to strict deadlines
- Client communication and management and conduct of client consultations
- The conduct of formal negotiations on behalf of clients
Dr Smith retains a keen interest in medical law and is a member of the Medicolegal Society. She is a member of the Royal Free Hospital's Serious Incident Review Panel and has conducted investigations into serious incidents that have occurred within the Trust.
Areas of Expertise:
• General anaesthesia for major adult surgery.
• Regional anaesthesia (peripheral nerve blockade incl use of peripheral nerve catheters).
• Orthopaedic anaesthesia.
• Neuraxial anaesthesia for adults (spinal, epidural, combined spinal and epidural).
• Anaesthesia for plastic surgery.
• Anaesthesia in trauma patients.
• Airway management and problems with airway management (incl dental damage).
• Acute pain management.
• Care of the acutely unwell adult surgical patient.
• Awareness under anaesthesia.
• Allergy and anaphylaxis.
• Intra-operative care (incl patient positioning).
• Law and practice relating to anaesthetic consent.
• Invasive monitoring (incl arterial line insertion and central venous cannulation).
19 Meynell Gardens